Nanny Questions About Family Lifestyle
Contributed by Dorothy Popovich
Understanding the family's lifestyle is important when evaluating a nanny job. Families come in all varieties, from the very formal households where you address your employers as Mr. and Mrs., wear a uniform, and work with the cook, housekeeper, butler, and household manager to the very informal household where you may be the only "staff" and address your employers as John and Mary and begin your day in your slippers. The following questions, as well as your own observations, can help you make these assessments and determine whether this job might be a good match for you.
- Do your careers require you to travel?
- Do you eat on the run or eat as a family? Is nanny welcome to eat with family?
- Do you have relatives that live near by who visit regularly?
- Do you often host business gatherings or have guests over for dinner?
- Are there any issues with divorce, step parents, parental visitations etc?
- Do you generally keep your children on a schedule?
- Do you have any other household employees working for you part-time or full-time? (e.g. regular cleaning person, landscape artists, chef, housekeeper, estate manager, butler)
- If so, may I speak to that person about your household before accepting an employment offer?
This list is a work in progress. Any suggestions are appreciated, please send them to me via this website.